International Students

Ryerson University welcomes international students who are high school or post-secondary graduates to its G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education. Exceptional faculty who are drawn from Toronto’s academic, business, and cultural communities will teach you, and as a student you have access to the following:

  • the Ryerson Library
  • the Recreation and Athletics Centre (RAC)
  • computer facilities and laboratories
  • international services and programs offered by International Student Support (ISS)

International students may enrol in university credit courses offered through The Chang School without formal admission to Ryerson. Some courses in advanced-level certificates do require an interview and/or prerequisite courses prior to enrolment.

Most certificate programs are offered in collaboration with our full-time degree programs. Upon successful completion of some certificate programs, and subject to normal program admission criteria and procedures, you may apply for advanced standing in applicable degree programs.

Continuing education courses are offered during three terms throughout the year. Though most courses are offered in the evening, some courses are also offered during the day, on weekends, in an intensive format, or by distance education.

For information and assistance in applying for a study permit and other immigration documents, contact the International Student Support (ISS) office at 416.979.5000, ext. 6655, email, or visit the ISS website.

International Tuition Fees

International students are charged a different fee from Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents unless they qualify for an exemption based on their status. International students who qualify for an international fee exemption are still required to obtain a Study Permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada. For information on fee and immigration categories, visit Fees and Finances.

To claim exemption, you must take your original document to the ServiceHub (Podium, 1st floor, 350 Victoria Street) when you enrol in your courses. This document must be issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). A lawyer’s documentation is not acceptable. If your status changes part way through your course, you will be considered for a fee adjustment if you submit your documentation by the dates outlined below.

Deadline Dates

  • Fall Term: November 1
  • Winter Term: January 31
  • Spring/Summer Term: June 15*

* If you are enrolled in a Chang School course which starts between June 15 and July 1 and your immigration status changes, we will accept changes to your fee status up until July 1.

International Students Fee Rate

The fees quoted online are in Canadian funds and are the Regular Fee Rate. The International Fee Rate for continuing education students is two and a half (2.5) times the regular student tuition fee for credit courses. The International Fee applies to degree credit courses only.

How to Calculate the International Fee

  1. Start with the course fee and subtract the ancillary fees and the material fee (where applicable). The material fee will be stated in a note following the course description. Please note that all Business courses are subject to a $2.20 ($0.50 for ITM students) material fee even though this is not noted in individual course descriptions. The result is the regular tuition fee.
  2. Multiply this amount by two and a half (2.5), and the result is the tuition portion of the international fee.
  3. Once the tuition portion is calculated, add back the ancillary fees and the material fee, where applicable. The result is the total international fee payable for your course. (Non-Tuition Related Fees and Service Charges provides more information about ancillary and material fees.)

Financial Assistance

Ryerson University is currently unable to offer financial assistance to international continuing education students. All international students are encouraged to explore home government or private sources of funding prior to arriving in Canada.