­Registration and Course Selection

How do I apply to begin taking courses?
We do not have a program-specific application process. Simply enrol in the courses you wish to take. If you would like assistance in choosing courses, the academic coordinators are happy to help.

How do I apply for the Certificate in Publishing?
Consult Registration in a Certificate Program for details.

I’m attracted to a career in publishing, but I don’t know which area to specialize in. Which course should I take first?
You should take CDPB 100 or CDPB 200. Either can be taken first, or both can be taken together. By the time you finish either course, you will have a better idea of whether you want to specialize in editing, production, design, sales and marketing, publicity, or subsidiary rights.

Which courses should I take if I know I want to be an editor or if I want to specialize in publicity?
You could begin with an overview course or with one of these skills-based courses: CDPB 102, CDPB 105, or CDPB 110.

Do I have the foundation in grammar that I need to take Copy Editing (CDPB 102)? Should I consider taking Practical Grammar and Punctuation (CDPB 312) first?
To enter CDPB 102, ideally you will score 80 or higher on this Diagnostic Grammar Test. This is a self-administered test to help you determine whether you should take Practical Grammar and Punctuation (CDPB 312) first.

This is a closed-book test. Give yourself 30-45 minutes to complete it. Once you have completed the test, please see the Diagnostic Grammar Test Marking Sheet for solutions.

If you score between 70 and 80 and decide to proceed directly into Copy Editing, please review grammar basics (see Practical Grammar by Maxine Ruvinsky). Under 70: we highly recommend that you take Practical Grammar and Punctuation (CDPB 312) before tackling Copy Editing.

I prefer daytime to evening courses. Are any available?
Yes. You may wish to consider beginning the program with the spring/summer daytime Publishing Intensive.

­Why Study Publishing?

What kinds of jobs will the Certificate in Publishing prepare me for?
Our Certificate in Publishing will prepare you for jobs wherever print and electronic documents are produced. You may find work with publishers, corporations, professional associations, governments, not-for-profit groups, and other organizations, or you may develop your own publishing-related business.

­Eligibility and Preparation

I work in corporate communications. Will your courses provide professional development for me?
Yes. Our courses that focus on copy editing, production, design, and publishing in the electronic age may be particularly helpful to you.

I’m in my late 30s. Will I be the oldest person in the class?
No. Publishing Program students range in age from early 20s through 50s and beyond.

I’m starting my undergraduate degree now and want to take your program later. Should I major in English?
You should study something you really enjoy – no one undergraduate degree is better qualification or preparation for working in publishing than another. Regardless of your major, you may find that you benefit later from taking courses in marketing, business, math or statistics, science, or a second language, as well as from following current events and reading widely in both nonfiction and fiction.

I’m finishing my undergraduate degree and would like to start your program early. Can I do that?
You can, but before you do please consider the amount of additional work that you will be taking on. Most of our courses require three hours per week of classroom or online time plus another three hours – often many more – outside the classroom, and many students still completing their degree find themselves struggling with the additional workload.

I didn’t complete my university degree. May I still register for the Certificate in Publishing?
To find out whether you may register for our certificate, contact the academic coordinators. They will consider your particular circumstances and give you good advice.

I have a law degree (or a PhD in chemistry or a BSc in nursing). Can you accommodate me in your courses?
Yes. Publishers need specialists in all areas, and our instructors draw on their students’ knowledge and experience to make their classes even more enriching and interesting for everyone.

­Internships and Jobs

Do I have to complete the Certificate in Publishing before I may apply for a Publishing Program internship?
No. You may apply for our internships as soon as they are offered after you have begun your first course.

Do I have to register for the Certificate in Publishing to apply for the Publishing Program awards?
Yes. Our awards are open only to students who are registered for the Certificate in Publishing.

Does the Publishing Program have any links to the job market?
Yes. We offer about 40 internships each term, and we regularly receive job announcements to distribute to our students and alumni. All our students, including those taking online courses, are automatically enrolled in an email service through which we provide information about job openings, additional internships, and other items of interest.

­Distance Education

Can I complete the certificate by distance education?
Yes, you can complete the certificate by distance education, but it may take longer, as some courses are not offered as often and not all courses are available by distance education.

I live in Toronto. Can I take distance education Publishing courses?
Yes. Distance education courses are open to enrolment for local students as well.

Can I take both distance education and on-campus courses, or do I have to pick which kind I want to take for the full certificate?
Students can take a mix of distance education and on-campus courses, whether that means adding a distance course to your regular on-campus courses in order to fit it better into your schedule, or coming into Toronto to take an on-campus course that hasn’t been offered by distance – it’s up to you. Even if you take only on-campus courses, you may find yourself making some use of Ryerson’s online course system to access handouts, submit assignments, and enhance group work.

As a distance education student, can I qualify for internships and awards?
All Publishing students are welcome to apply for internship opportunities, though currently most of these are in the Greater Toronto Area. All registered certificate students – distance education and on-campus – may apply for awards.

What are the differences between taking a course on campus and online through distance education?
The course content for on-campus and distance education courses covers the same material. On-campus courses meet for three hours one evening each week for seven or 13 weeks. If you enrol in a distance education course, you log on and post messages independently but the overall time frame for the course is the same as for on-campus courses and regular “attendance” is expected.

­Publishing Intensive

How does studying in the spring/summer Publishing Intensive differ from the regular program?
Publishing Intensive courses run not during the evening but during the daytime, and only in the spring and summer. All students in the Publishing Intensive take the same courses, together.

Can I take just one or two Publishing Intensive courses?
No. The Publishing Intensive option is not available on a per-course basis. All Publishing Intensive students take all six courses within the option.

Are there electives in the Publishing Intensive option?
Yes. Publishing Intensive students take the same six courses in the spring/summer term but can choose their own two courses or one course and two half-courses from our regular evening and distance-education options in later terms to complete the certificate. The academic coordinators can help you plan which electives to take.

Is the Publishing Intensive available by distance education?
No. The Publishing Intensive requires all students to be on campus, though there may be a distance-education component to some courses during the term. Out-of-town students here just for the term may wish to look at Ryerson Student Housing services.

Can Publishing Intensive students hold a job during the intensive term?
We do not recommend this – the program is called “intensive” for good reason.

Are Publishing Intensive students eligible for internships and awards?
Yes, but not for internships that begin during the intensive term.

­Coursework, Grades, and Credits

Will I receive a Ryerson University credit if I successfully complete a Publishing Program course?
For most courses, yes. Every certificate course in the Publishing Program is a graded, university-level credit course. Check the website for the course you’re interested in.

How are grades determined?
The grading system varies with each course. Some instructors have assignments, tests or exams, essays, and presentations; others include some of these components but not others.

Are the assignments based on real-life publishing?
Yes. Because our instructors work in the areas they teach, the assignments are very realistic and are indeed often drawn from confidential real-world materials, used by permission.

Will my instructors be experienced and up to date?
Yes. Our instructors are respected industry experts. They are all currently working in publishing and bring up-to-date, applied knowledge to every course.

How large are the classes?
We allow up to 30 people to enrol in the overview courses and up to 25 for the skills-based courses. These limits ensure a close student-instructor relationship and make it possible for us to employ the instructors we do. The same limits apply to our courses offered through distance education.

How many hours a week of my time will each course involve?
Every on-campus course meets for three hours one evening each week for seven or 14 weeks. Allow about four to five hours extra for readings, homework, and assignments, though you may find that some courses require more than that. Distance education courses entail similar time commitments. Time commitments for workshops vary.

How many courses should I take each term?
The number of courses you should take depends on your own schedule and energy level. We strongly recommend, based on years of student experience, that students who do not have a job or internship take no more than four courses per term and that students with full-time jobs or internships take no more than two. If you have both a full-time job and home responsibilities, be realistic about the number of hours you can set aside for your studies each week.

How long will it take me to complete the Certificate in Publishing?
You need eight full credits (or half-credit equivalents) to get the certificate. Figure out how many courses you can handle each term and check the sequencing of the courses as set out in Courses and Programs. We recommend that you take no more than four courses per term, and no more than two if you are working full-time.

How much will it cost to complete the certificate?
Costs are on a per-course basis, with some additional administrative fees and the occasional textbook or software purchase. Each course lists its costs in the calendar. We attempt to keep software purchase costs as low as possible.

May I use credits from other programs or universities towards the Certificate in Publishing?
Yes. You may use one or two, as long as they are credit courses, relevant to our program, and do not duplicate courses you have already taken with us. All Transfer Credits must be approved by one of the Publishing Program academic coordinators.

­Mid-Career Training

I have an idea for a course, but I don’t see it offered. Do you plan to offer new courses or other mid-career training opportunities?
Yes, we do, and the coordinators would love to hear your idea.