Liberal Studies

Liberal Studies courses develop your capacity to understand and appraise the social and cultural context in which you work as a professional and live as an educated citizen. They are also intended to develop skills in critical thinking, analysis, and written communication.

The G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education offers you a wide variety of degree-credit Liberal Studies courses, available in-class, online, as intensives, and in the Spring/Summer term.

Liberal Studies courses are open to continuing education students and undergraduate students. They may be taken for interest, or they may be applied toward a degree, diploma, or certificate.

Choosing a Course

Liberal Studies courses are found principally in the Faculty of Arts, the Faculty of Community Services, the Faculty of Communication and Design, and the Faculty of Science. You can use our Course Search to choose your Liberal Studies requirements from a rich range of disciplines and departments, including Astronomy, Arabic, Biology, Caribbean Studies, Chemistry, Chinese, Criminal Justice and Criminology, Economics, English, French, Spanish, Geography, History, Math, Nutrition, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Sociology, and Theatre.

Liberal studies courses are offered at two levels: lower and upper.

Lower level Liberal Studies courses are intended for first- and second-year students. Normally, they are introductory or survey courses.

Upper level Liberal Studies courses are more focused and intellectually demanding.

If you plan to use a Liberal Studies course for credit in your undergraduate degree program, it is your responsibility to ensure that the course meets the specific requirements and restrictions of your program.

For more detailed information, check the Undergraduate Liberal Studies Guide and review the following tables for lower level and upper level course restrictions:

Table A – Lower Level Restrictions
Table B – Upper Level Restrictions

Transferring Courses for Credit at Other Institutions

Not a Ryerson student, but looking for undergraduate degree credits? If you are studying at another university or community college, you may be able to take Liberal Studies courses through The G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education and transfer the credits to your institution. Be sure to verify the course’s equivalency with your institution first.